Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Welcome Nathan Neal!

Hi all,

We are so happy to let you know that baby Nate has arrived! Born on Thursday, October 2nd at 1:32pm weighing 8 pounds, 13.3 ounces and 21 inches long.

He was a week overdue and was scheduled to be induced on Friday morning, 10/3, but both him and I were not too fond of that plan! Thankfully, about 9:30 am on Thursday I felt my first contraction. I thought we were in for a long leisurly labor, but Nate had his own timing! About 10:30 I called Neal and let him know to start making his way back home, but he was on his was on his way from Phx back to Casa Grande in the SRP welding truck and would need to get back to the plant down there to pick up his own truck and come back this way - I let him know to take his time - we'd be fine! About 11am I call my sister to come over to the house to watch Kenner and said that Neal should be home to pick me up around noon, so to take her time...11:15 I call her back - OUCH - "maybe you should come now...." Thankfully, her intuition was already ahead of us and she was down the street! I finsihed packing up, we loaded Kenner in the car and she drove us the long 25+ miles from home to Scottsdale Osborn. On the way it was clear that Neal would not be able to be there with me in time to check-in, etc so I called my dear friend Michelle, who works in Corporate at the Hospital to meet me at the curb and be with me until Neal arrived. Check-in - 12:30pm. I get changed, into a bed and the nurse checks my progress - "Where is your husband?" she asks - I say, "on his way - how far am I dilated?", "How close?" she demands "You're at 8!" - At this point I feel like an All Star and turn to Michelle, who has a beautiful daughter of her own and has been through the process - "I'm awesome" - flash forward 2 minutes - I am disolved to cowardly tears, "What, but I NEED an epidural - no time and my blood pressure is too high? Check it again, I''m better now..." I guess I'm not very convincing. And after pleading with the nurses for that little something "to take the edge off", I learned that there is no such thing either - don't believe what anyone says - they couldn't give me anything that wouldn't affect the baby's first breathes...Damn. After about 20 minutes of trying to find a vein for my IV (the worst part of Kenner's labor and delivery story as well), I'm plumbed (for no good reason) and wheeled into the delivery room at 1pm - and Neal arrives (thank God!) along with the urge to push (thank God - let's wrap this show up!) and my Doctor (thank God - he missed my first delivery due to vacation). So many rules when it comes to pushing a baby out - who knew - it took me a bit to get it 'right' and at one point the Dr, who appeared to be annoyed with my lack of technique and huge waste of his time, demanded my hand, pressed my fingers to Nate's gynormous head not yet delivered and sternly advised "that's your baby, now PUSH him out!" Okay, okay, I get it! ONE huge (and technicaly PERFECT) push later, ALL of baby Nate was born - How was that Dr? Hhhmmmmph! We all feel very good and the recovery from the natural delivery has been suprisingly easy and quick - I can not tell you how good it felt to stand up after delivering Nate and not having all the tubes, sensors, etc tied up to me. Now I can say I've delivered naturally!

Nathan was born so strong, alert and content and we are so happy to have him out with us so we can continue to get to know him! He loves being held, sleeping, looking around, riding his bike (that pumping and kicking thing) and chirping (his version of cooing). Kenner is doing fantastic and is a super attentive and gentle big brother - we couldn't ask for a better transition!

Thanks for all your love and support as we enter this next eventful chapter of our lives - life with 2 boys - I can't wait to watch them grow and learn together!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Congratulations!

Baby Nate looks so perfect! And Kenner looks so proud of his big brother! It sounds like your delivery was quite eventful! I was laughing at the way you described it all!

I can't wait to see Baby Nate in person!

Enjoy!

He's perfect!

Love, Sue